The Thembekile Mandela Foundation has set out to identify communities where the most assistance in health and education programmes is needed. At the moment the focus is on the Eastern Cape Province.
The rationale behind this focus, apart from being the province where Nelson Mandela was born and bred, is that it is the second poorest province in South Africa and has the largest number of mud schools in the country, challenges the Foundation is seeking to eradicate.
The following are TMF objectives:
- Promoting education and health programmes in identified communities,
- Ensuring that all adopted schools have equipped libraries, science and computer laboratories,
- Supporting youth development in identified areas,
- Supporting HIV and Aids programmes and other health initiatives in identified schools and communities,
- Promoting rural education and safety in schools, and ,
- Facilitating the building and revamping of identified schools in partnership with the National Department of Basic Education and other partners.